Director & ProfessorM.Sc., PhD
Dr. Jürgen Krause is a professor in the Faculty of Business at the University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) and serves as the director of the Centre for Health and Community Research (CHCR) which he founded in 2009. He earned his Master and PhD degrees from the University of Konstanz, Germany, and performed his postdoctoral studies at the University of Chicago in USA.
Before moving into education, Dr. Krause served in several operational and strategic capacities in the Pharmaceutical and Biopharmaceutical industry. During his time in industry, he held senior and executive positions in research and development, manufacturing and quality management, project management, pipeline and portfolio management as well as strategy development. He also successfully championed global company initiatives and a number of industry/university collaborations and led alliances with other industry partners. He spent eighteen years with Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals in both the European and United States offices and four years with Millennium Pharmaceuticals (now Takeda Pharmaceuticals) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, as Vice President R&D Strategy & Operations.
Dr. Krause joined the Faculty of Business at UPEI in July 2008 and served as the Dean of the Faculty from 2013 until 2019. From 2010 until 2020 Dr. Krause also served as an adjudication committee member on the Idea to Innovation Grants Program of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).Research Interests
- Management of science and innovation
- Change and opportunity in health care management
- Health care delivery and policy making
- Community safety and well-being
- Fellows, G. K., Patterson, M., MacFarlane, A., Marriott, L., Carrothers, A., Krause, J. (2018). Economic loss analysis to Prince Edward Island resulting from a prolonged closure of the Confederation Bridge. Canadian Journal of Regional Science = Revue canadienne des sciences régionales, 41(1), 29-41. http://www.cjrs-rcsr.org/V41/cjrs_rcsr41-3bFellowsEtAl.pdf
- Levy, A., Kephart, G., Dowling, L., Dyer, J., Burge, F., Atherton, F., MacKenzie, A., Leslie, A., Krause, J., McDonald, T. (2017). Patient engagement as a component of a learning healthcare system: A case study using small area rate variation research in Nova Scotia, Canada. International Journal for Population Data Science, 1(1). DOI doi:10.23889/ijpds.v1i1.305
- St-Hilaire, S., Krause, J., Write, K., Poirier, L., & Singh, K. (2016). Break-even analysis for a green crab fishery in PEI, Canada. Management of Biological Invasions, 7(3), 297–303.
- Krause, J., & Tobin, G. (2013). Discovery, development, and regulation of natural products. in M. Kulka (Ed.), Using Old Solutions to New Problems - Natural Drug Discovery in the 21st Century, (pp.3-25). InTech doi:10.5772/56424
- Pallapothu, M. K., & Krause, J. (2013). Strategic Macro-Environmental Factor Analysis for Entry into the Fish Vaccines Market in India. International Journal of Business and Management, 8(3), 27–41.
- Ballem K. H. D., & Krause J. (2011). Case study of interprovincial variations in patient access to Oncology drugs: does a common public formulary exist for oncology drugs in Canada? American International Journal of Contemporary Research, 1(3), 21-29.
- Casper, S., Krause, J., & MacNevin, A. (2010). The Prince Edward Island bioscience bluster: Creating a knowledge-based economy. in M. J. Ahn (Ed.), Building the case for biotechnology: Management case studies in science, laws, regulations, politics, and business. Washington, DC: Logos Press.
- MacSwain, M., Kydd, R., Munro, M., Krause, J. (2020). Evaluation Progress Report for: Mobile Integrated Health in Prince Edward Island Home and Community Care Seniors Check-in Program. PEI Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit & Centre for Health and Community Research.
- MacSwain, M., Kydd, R., Munro, M., Krause, J. (2020). Interim Evaluation Plan for: Mobile Integrated Health in Prince Edward Island Home and Community Care Seniors Check-in Program. PEI Maritime SPOR SUPPPORT Unit & Centre for Health and Community Research.
- Kydd, R., MacSwain, M., Krause, J. (2019, June 26). Interim Evaluation Progress Report for: Mobile Integrated Health Initiative in Prince Edward Island Seniors Check-in Program. Centre for Health and Community Research, University of Prince Edward Island & the Department of Health and Wellness, Province of Prince Edward Island.
- MacSwain, M., Patterson, M., Kephart, G. & Krause, J. (2016). Examining the drivers of high cost healthcare usage in Prince Edward Island. Charlottetown, PE: Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit.
- Krause, J., MacSwain, M. (2019, May). Examining Drivers of High Resource Healthcare Usage in PEI. [Presentation]. Provincial Patient Flow Advisory Committee.
- MacSwain, M., Arsenault, H., Kydd, R., & Krause, J. (2018, November 13-15). Understanding the experiences of high-resource healthcare patients in PEI: an emergent mixed methods study. [Presentation]. SPOR Summit, Ottawa, ON; (2018, October 27-29). 24th Qualitative Health Research Conference, Halifax, NS.
- MacSwain, M., Arsenault, H., Kydd, R., & Krause, J. (2018, May 29-31). Examining the drivers of high cost healthcare use in PEI. Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research Conference, Montreal, QC.
- MacSwain, M., Patterson, M., Kephart, G. & Krause, J. (2017, May 24-26). Examining the drivers of high cost healthcare usage in Prince Edward Island. Canadian Association for Health Services Policy Research Conference, Toronto, ON.